“Pray continually” 1 Thessalonians 5:17
There is a lot of confusion about prayer. Where it should be. How it should be. What you should say. Who should say it, etc. Its really not that complicated no matter what anyone tells you. God longs for an intimate relationship you. You are after all his child. As a result, we wanted to provide you with some information on how to pray. God always answers prayer. Sometimes He say yes; sometimes He says no; and sometimes He says “hold up – wait a minute”. And since to the Lord a day is the same as a thousand years (2Peter 3:8), that could mean a ten year wait for some of us. So ask in faith, but rest in peace-filled patience. If we pray in doubt, we will not get an answer (James 1:6:7).
Here is how we believe you should pray.
- Pray with faith (Hebrews 11:6)
- Pray with clean hands and a pure heart ( Psalms 24: 3,4)
- Pray genuine heartfelt prayers, rather than vain repetitions (Matthew 6:7)
- Make sure you are praying to the God revealed in Scriptures (Exodus 20:3-6)
- How do we pray with faith? – As far as God is concerned, if you belong to Jesus, you are a VIP. You can boldly come before the throne of Grace (Hebrews 4:16). You have access to the Creator of the universe because you are the son or daughter of the most high. So when you pray, don’t say “Oh God, I hope you will supply my needs”. Instead say something like this, “Father, thank You that You keep every promise You make. Your Word says that You will supply all my needs according to Your riches in glory by Chris Jesus (phil. 4:19). Therefore, I thank You that You will do this thing for my family. I ask this in the glorious name of Jesus. Amen.
- How do you get “clean hands and a pure heart? – Simply by confessing your sins to God through Jesus Chris, whose blood cleanses from all sin (1 John 1:7-9.
- How do you pray “genuine heartfelt prayers” ? – Simply by keeping yourself in the love of God. Just talk to your heavenly Father as candidly and intimately as a young child does. God wants to hear from your heart, so talk to him from the heart. When your prayer life is pleasing to God, He will reward you openly. Also, don’t make a grand show of your prayers with ritual, theatrics, pomp, etc. As Jesus says in Matthew 6, ” And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing the synagogues and on the corners of the streets , that they may be seen by men. Assuredly I say to you that they will have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut the door, pray to your father who is in heaven; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. Therefore do not be like them. For your fathers knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. (Matthew 6:5-8)
- How do you know you’re praying to “the God revealed in Scripture” ? – Study the Word. Don’t accept the image of a God portrayed by the world, even though it appeals to the natural mind – a kind gentle Santa Claus figure, dispensing good things with no sense of justice or truth appeals to guilty sinners. Look to the thunderings and lightnings of Mount Sinai. Gaze at Jesus on the cross at Cavalry – hanging in the unspeakable agony because of the justice of a holy God. Such thoughts tend to banish idolatry. Read the Bible with an open and honest heart. You will see exactly what God wants for you, what he expects from you and how to become closer to him.
Finally, you can never go wrong with the prayer Jesus taught his disciples when they asked for an example on how to pray:
“Our father in heaven
Hallowed be your name
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our debts
As we forgive our debtors
And do not lead us into temptation
But deliver us from the evil one
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever, Amen.”
If you have not accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, we invite you to do so. Simply and with an open heart say something like this: “Heavenly father, I know I am a sinner. Please forgive me of my sins. I repent. Help me to grow in your light through the Holy Spirit. Jesus, I ask you into my life, my heart and my soul. I make you my Lord and Savior.” We believe if you sincerely, with a true and with a repentant heart say this prayer, we believe you have been born again in the spirit. You are now apart of the family and the body of Christ. You have been made new. You are now on your journey as a Christian.